Pea and Ham Soup
This old-school favourite is the ultimate combination of a comforting soup and a hearty main meal. Chunky ham, creamy peas and just a few other simple ingredients make this a very satisfying lunch or dinner, especially when served with our delicious garlic herb bread.
Write a review
- 2½ cups green split peas
- 850 g smoked ham hock
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Wash split peas and place in a 2-litre capacity bowl with 1-litre of water.
- Cover and allow the split peas to soak for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove rind from ham hock and discard.
- Cut meat away from the bone and roughly chop. Reserve bone.
- Drain split peas and place into a 5-litre capacity microwave safe dish.
- Add ham bone, chopped ham, onion, thyme, bay leaf and chicken stock.
- Cook uncovered on P10 for 15 minutes.
- Reduce power to P6 and cook for 15 minutes.
- Skim top of soup and cook on P6 for a further 30 minutes.
- Remove ham bone and bay leaf and stir in frozen peas.
- Cook on P6 for 10 minutes.
- Blend half the soup and return to the bowl, stirring through the remaining soup.
- Serve hot with crusty bread.
- Do not add salt when cooking lentils or pulses, as they will toughen. Add salt after cooking if desired.
- Made using the Panasonic NN-ST655W invertor microwave oven: http://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/household/microwave-ovens/microwave-only/nn-st655w.html
The Ideas Kitchen https://theideaskitchen.panasonic.com.au/